In this article, some of the terms used in the platform will be described so as to help you get started with the platform's vocabulary:
Measuring and introducing data in the platform
- Meter / Device: A meter or device can be the representation of a physical meter/sensor; or of a calculated virtual device, resulting from the combination of several meters. Each meter or device will store the variables that are being monitored and introduced into the platform and will be directly related to a specific location.
- Datapoint: Datapoints represent the variables that are monitored and inserted into the platform. One sensor may include multiple datapoints, each of them representing a distinct variable.
- Billable datapoint: Every datapoint that is stored in the platform will be billable with the exception of the derived parameters. Some apps will generate additional billable datapoints.
- Parameter: A parameter is what allows the platform to understand which type of consumption or variable a device is monitoring. It is really important to correctly define parameters, as alerts, visualisation of the values and other functionalities will depend on it.
- Gateway: Gateways are our essential data sources. They are linked to all types of meters that get the data from the field. As the meters have no ability to send data, it is imported to the platform through the gateways.
- Virtual gateway: A virtual gateway is a gateway that does not represent any physical gateway. They are useful in order to store virtual devices or for cases in which the gateway used is not registered in the platform and data is introduced directly through our API.
- Group: A group is a simple combination of devices that help to display certain consumptions: Groups are usually used to express the total consumption of a set of devices or to indicate the remainder consumption (the consumption that is not being monitored by a specific sensor).
- Reference meter: A reference meter is a Meter that represents a type of consumption in a specific location. This type of consumption might be lighting, refrigerators, main consumption, water... Please note that a location might represent a room, in which case a reference meter would only state which device represents this type of consumption in that room.
- Derived parameter: A derived parameter is a parameter that is calculated based on a parameter inserted through a gateway. One of the most used derived operations is deriving pulses to gas volume or energy.
- Historical device / meter: Historical devices represent a sensor that was used in an installation and, thus, stores historical data but is currently outdated or unused. The stored data can be linked to the new sensor in order to be displayed correctly in the analysis screen.
Organising the information in the platform
- Location: Locations are the units that the platform uses to organise the inserted data and display it in a defined way. They normally represent Cities, Factories, Buildings, Floors, Apartments, Rooms... depending on the Project.
- In-bulk configuration: Tool to massively configure an account. Locations, devices and contracts are some of the items that can be configured through an in-bulk upload.
- Superadministrator user: The superadministrator user is the user with the highest rights in an account. They differentiate with the administrators because the superadministrators are able to upgrade and downgrade the account, as well as perform in-bulk configurations. If needed, there can be several superadministrators.
- Profile: Profiles are used in order to share dashboards with a user or groups of users. They are very useful in accounts with a large number of users.
- Virtual weather station: A virtual weather station is a virtual gateway that obtains meteorological data from several weather stations around the world. It allows the possibility of getting data such as irradiation, temperature and humidity without needing to install a sensor.
- Apps market: Energy Apps Market where you can download apps, developed as add-ons of the core functionalities of the platform.