In this article you are going to learn how to use the free App FileZilla to insert data through FTP in the EM Platform.
This might be useful for you to insert historical data using .csv files in a quick and easy way.
Remember the list of FTP available formats.
To be able to insert data using FileZilla, you need to have an FTP gateway created in the EM Platform beforehand.
To do so, follow these steps and select the FTP gateway.
From the FTP gateway that you create, you will need, for the purpose of the article:
- The FTP address
- The FTP user
- And the FTP password
You can find the 3 variables in the settings of the gateway:
What is FileZilla and how to get it?
FileZilla is a free and easy-to-use app that allows you to drag and drop files from your PC to an FTP folder, like the EMS gateway's one.
You can download it here.
Setup and sending of data
Once you have downloaded the app and opened it, you will see this screen:
On the top, you will have to write the credentials of your FTP gateway to get in.
In the middle, you will see on the left the folders and files of your PC and on the right, the folders and files inside your FTP folder.
Now, the first thing you have to do is set up the app:
1. Write the FTP address from your gateway as the Host.
2. Write the FTP username as the Username in FileZilla.
3. And finally, write the FTP password as the password in FileZilla.
4. Click on Quickconnect.
At this point, get familiar with the FileZilla Interface before following the next steps.
5. This step is different depending on which type of data you want to insert
- If it is real-time (so current) data, stay in the root
- If it is historical data, get inside the historic folder
6. Now, drag and drop the files that you want to insert into the Platform from the left menu, or from any folder of your PC, to the right section (inside the FTP).
7. Now let's wait until the data is processed, and go visualize them in the Platform.
Once you have configured FileZilla, you will get inside the FTP server with your credentials, so you will get inside the FTP folder of your gateway. FileZilla will show you this:
In the section of your FTP gateway, at the right, you will see that you are on the root of the FTP. Here is where all the real-time files end up in order to be processed.
In the root, you will visualize 3 (or 4) different folders:
The aim of this folder is to insert historical data, as it is data that can't be inserted at the root of the FTP gateway.
When the data inside this folder is processed, you will visualize it in the processed folder.
Here is where you will be able to visualize all the files (historic and real-time) that have been processed in the last 7 days.
After 7 days, the files are compressed and stored in the archives folder.
Note that files take at least 15min to be processed.
You will see this folder only if you have inserted a file that has not been properly processed by our FTP system.
Why can this happen?
It can happen for many reasons, depending on the type of parser selected in the Platform. These are some of the most typical ones:
- Error in the file name
- Error in the file format (wrong parser)
- Error in the file type (.csv, .zip...)
Here is where all the processed files from each week are compressed and stored for at least 1 month so that you can recover them in case you need it.