Having your own data available on the Platform is essential to start doing energy management, and gateways have a fundamental role in this purpose.
In this article, you're going to learn everything about Gateways and how to insert data into the platform.
- What is a gateway?
- Data flow: From real life to the EMS
- Obtain a MAC and Token from a gateway
What is a gateway?
A gateway is a data-logger that links real data with the EMS Platform. You must create and properly configure it in order for your data to get into the platform.
Learn how to create a new gateway in the Platform.
Data flow: From real life to the EMS
Real data is collected from the installation through meters or sensors, where each one of them can measure different parameters like electricity, water, etc.
This information is then sent to the Platform through:
- Services (like FTP or SFTP),
- Real gateways (Check out our Third-party integrations), or
- Our insertion API (via the Virtual Gateway)
For more information, go and create a new gateway.
How is the data stored in the EMS Platform?
The 3 different insertion methodologies explained in the previous point are represented in DEXMA as Gateways.
Inside each gateway, a device is created representing each meter in the field and, inside each device, a parameter is generated representing each service (water, electricity..).
Those parameters in DEXMA are called Datapoints.
Once the data is stored in the EMS Platform, you will have to follow a few settings steps in order to visualise it.
Real-life - EMS diagram
Here you can visualize a diagram showing the real installation VS the final situation in the EMS Platform.
Now you can start configuring your own gateways!
- Gateway: is the data-logger used to keep the information coming from data insertion.
- Device: represents the meter that is measuring real data in the installation on the platform. It can store data from different parameters.
- Parameter / Data-point: a measurable factor of a set; a storage unit that contains monitored data of a specific parameter. They belong to a device.
Obtain MAC and Token from a gateway
How to obtain the MAC address
How to obtain the gateway token
There are some gateways that do not show their token in the same way in which it has been explained in the article. However, they do have a token and to know it, you can send an email to your support provider. The gateways which do not show their token are:
- Email Multicolumn CSV
- Current cost
- Virtual weather station
- Power Studio Engine (Scada, EDS, R440)
- EKM Push
- Generic sftp
- Generic email