In this article you are going to learn about Sigfox Network.
- What is the Sigfox network?
- How to create a Sigfox gateway in the platform
- Sigfox devices integrated into the Platform
What is the Sigfox network?
Sigfox is a network operator dedicated to the Internet of Things (IoT). The Sigfox network is using the UNB (Ultra Narrow Band) and allows devices to communicate with low power on a wide area.
The Sigfox technology allows transmitters to send their data (temperature, humidity, metering values…) without distance constraints directly on the Sigfox servers.
The data stocked on the Sigfox cloud can then be sent to the EM platform by configuring a Callback in the Customer Sigfox Backend.
Sigfox compatible devices are battery powered and communicate wirelessly without any extra gateway to Sigfox Cloud, allowing you to send data from different Type of probes and sensors like Temperature, pulses, etc. directly to the platform using Sigfox Network.
The EM platform is compatible with several Sigfox enabled device manufacturers like Sensohive, or Enless Wireless.
It communicates with the Platform through HTTP.
NOTE: If you need additional Sigfox devices that are not yet integrated into the platform, do no to hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
How to add a Sigfox Gateway in the Platform
The Sigfox is one of the gateways that are integrated with the EMS, so to communicate your Sigfox with the platform is easy and quick.
To start receiving data to your account from your Sigfox Cloud follow these steps:
1. Log into the EMS with your user and password
2. Go to Settings sections:
3. On the left menu go to Gateways and click on Register a new gateway:
4. Select the gateway Sigfox:
5. Fill in the following fields:
- Name: write a distinctive name for your gateway
- Model: select a device model from the list
- Time Zone: select the time zone where it is located
6. Once you click on Save you will see two information fields with the data you need to configure in the Sigfox Backend.
- Sigfox Callback Request. It contains the expected format of the message to configure in Sigfox. This is different in each Sigfox Gateway in the platform, and has to be used just in one Sigfox callback
- Platform Bridge URL. It contains the endpoint URL to configure in Sigfox. This URL is always the same but has to be configured in all Sigfox Callbacks: https://sigfox.source.dexma.com/metrics
To send information from all your Sigfox devices to the EM platform it is necessary to create a callback in Sigfox Backend and configure it to send data to a gateway.
Devices in Sigfox Cloud are organised in “DEVICE TYPES”. Each DEVICE TYPE contains all the devices from the same model and manufacturer (this is important), that you want to group to send to a third party (like the EM platform).
- First of all, you have to group all your devices into different device types.
- Go to Callbacks to create a callback to send data from those devices to the EMS
- Create a “Callback” to send the data from all those devices to the platform's gateway.
- In case you have a Sensohive Orbit 3 probe, you will have to configure the frequency at which it will send the data to the platform. Follow this article to do so.
Sigfox devices integrated into the Platform
This is the list of Sigfox devices in the Platform:
- Enless Wireless:
- Temperature and Humidity
- PT100 Temperature
- AirWitts CO2